The Resource Personal property tax books, 1782-1927
- Personal property tax books, 1782-1927
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Personal Property Taxes
- Volumes contain names of taxpayers, categories of personal property, quantities of each category subject to tax, and amounts of tax. The relative amount of detailed information provided increases chronologically until late in the nineteenth century, when the categories of taxable property are reduced to vehicles, machinery, capitations, and intangible property such as bonds. Earlier volumes usually contain lists of licenses issued (see also entry 453) specific and detailed lists of taxable property, and occasionally the names of other adult males in the household besides the taxpayers
- The General Assembly passed an act on 9 February 1808 ordering commissioners of the revenue not to compile lists of taxpayers or collect taxes. On 3 March 1864 the General Assembly suspended the revenue act for 1864 because there were adequate funds already in the treasury. No personal property tax books exist, therefore, for the years 1808 and 1864. Volumes cover the following years: 1782-1807, 1809-1863, and 1865-1927
- The Library of Virginia has the following volumes for Kentucky Counties: Bourbon County, 1787-1791; Fayette County, 1787-1793; Jefferson County, 1789-1793; Lincoln County, 1787-1791; Madison County, 1787-1792; Mason County, 1790-1791, 1793; Mercer County, 1787, 1789; Shelby County, 1792; Washington County, 1792; and Woodford County, 1790, 1792-1793. Also includes Land Tax list for Bourbon County, 1789
- The Library of Virginia has the following volumes for West Virginia Counties: Barbour County, 1843-1860; Berkeley County, 1783-1861; Boone County, 1847-1860; Braxton County, 1836-1863; Brooke County, 1797-1860; Cabell County, 1809-1860; Calhoun County, 1856-1860; Clay County, 1859-1861; Doddridge County, 1845-1860; Fayette County, 1831-1861; Gilmer County, 1851-1861; Greenbrier County, 1782-1863; Hampshire County, 1782-1860; Hancock County, 1848-1860; Hardy County, 1786-1860; Harrison County, 1785-1860; Jackson County, 1831-1861; Jefferson County, 1802-1861; Kanawha County, 1792-1793, 1796, 1820-1861; Lewis County, 1817-1860; Logan County, 1824-1860; Marion County, 1842-1860; Marshall County, 1836-1860; Mason County, 1805-1860; McDowell County, 1859-1863; Mercer County, 1837-1863; Monongalia County, 1783-1860; Monroe County, 1799-1863; Morgan County, 1820-1861; Ohio County, 1811-1860; Pendleton County, 1789-1863; Pleasants County, 1851-1860; Pocahontas County, 1822-1861; Preston County, 1821-1860; Putnam County, 1848-1861; Raleigh County, 1850-1861; Randolph County, 1787-1861; Ritchie County, 1843-1860; Roane County, 1856-1861; Taylor County, 1844-1860; Tucker County, 1856-1860; Tyler County, 1815-1860; Upshur County, 1851-1860; Wayne County, 1842-1861; Webster County, 1860-1861; Wetzel County, 1846-1860; Wheeling (City), 1838-1860; Wirt County, 1848-1860; Wood County, 1801-1860; and Wyoming County, 1850-1861
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928). (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) as author).
- Additional physical form
- Available in microfilm for some years and localities.
- also available on microfilm (Miscellaneous Reel 24).
- also available on microfilm (Miscellaneous Reel 81).
- also available on microfilm (Miscellaneous Reel 640-641).
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no 633
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Personal property tax books, 1782-1927
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Personal property tax books, 1782-1927
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vu5JfRT6V28/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vu5JfRT6V28/">Personal property tax books, 1782-1927</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...