The Resource Speech to the 1956 Constitutional Convention,, 1956 Mar. 5
- Speech to the 1956 Constitutional Convention,, 1956 Mar. 5
- Inclusive dates
- 1956 Mar. 5
- Recording of Governor Thomas B. Stanley's opening speech to the 1956 Constitutional Convention. He expects the convention to play a major role in preventing forced integration and outlines the proposed revision to the Constitution whereas public funds can be used to support private schools
- Biographical or historical data
- Thomas Bahnson Stanley was born in Henry County, Virginia on 16 July 1890. From 1930 to 1946, he represented Henry County and Martinsville in the Virginia House of Delegates, serving as speaker of the house from 1942 to 1946. He was elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1946, serving until 1953, the same year he was elected Governor of Virginia. Stanley died in Martinsville, Virginia on 10 July 1970.
- The 1956 Constitutional Convention was called for the purpose of amending section 141 of the Constitution of Virginia to permit tuition payments. Delegates were elected on 21 February 1956 and the convention met in Richmond from 5 March to 7 March 1956. The constitution was amended to allow tuition grants.
- Cataloging source
- Format of music
- not applicable
- Funding information
- Reformatting was funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
- Literary text for sound recordings
- lectures speeches
ContextContext of Speech to the 1956 Constitutional Convention,, 1956 Mar. 5
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Speech to the 1956 Constitutional Convention,, 1956 Mar. 5
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vvnhI4eBeYM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vvnhI4eBeYM/">Speech to the 1956 Constitutional Convention,, 1956 Mar. 5</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...