The Resource Certificate of prisoner exchange, 1781 Feb. 27
- Certificate of prisoner exchange, 1781 Feb. 27
- Inclusive dates
- 1781 Feb. 27
- Certificate of prisoner exchange, 27 February 1781, for Francis Cowherd (1753-1833), lieutenant of the Virginia Line, who was exchanged in Charles Town (Charleston), South Carolina, for a Lieutenant Hamilton of the 71st Regiment in the British army. Certificate is signed by James Fraser, Commissioner of Prisoners. There are two negative photostat copies and one positive photostat copy of the document
- Biographical or historical data
- Francis Cowherd was born 9 January 1753 in Orange County, Virginia, to Jonathan Coward (1727-1806) and Sarah Frances Cowherd (1733-1817). He served as a sergeant at the battle of Point Pleasant. During the American Revolution, Cowherd was commissioned a lieutenant in the 2nd Virginia Regiment in the Continental army, and eventually was promoted to captain. He, along with much of the 2nd Virginia, was captured at Charleston, South Carolina, 12 May 1780, and was exchanged in June 1781. Cowherd returned to the army and served until the end of the war. After the Revolution, Cowherd was commissioned a major in the Orange County, Virginia, militia; was appointed an agent to collect back taxes; and was appointed coroner of Orange County. He also served as a justice and a sheriff for the county. Cowherd married Lucy Scott (1763-1847) 13 August 1787, and they had 9 children. He died at Oak Hill, Orange County on 25 March 1833.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Francis Cowherd, Deed, 19 August 1784 (LVA Acc. 20463)
- Francis Cowherd, Commission, 22 November 1779 (LVA Acc. 20749)
- Francis Cowherd, Papers, 1781-1829 (LVA. Acc. 20764)
- Francis Cowherd, Commissions, 1779-1795 (LVA Acc. 23925)
ContextContext of Certificate of prisoner exchange, 1781 Feb. 27
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Certificate of prisoner exchange, 1781 Feb. 27
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/wJIBGq5ttHs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/wJIBGq5ttHs/">Certificate of prisoner exchange, 1781 Feb. 27</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...