The Resource 1849-1913
- Inclusive dates
- Plats -- Virginia | Washington County
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Washington County
- Debt -- Virginia | Washington County
- Equity. -- Virginia | Washington County
- Washington County (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Washington County (Va.)
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Washington County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Washington County
- Land records -- Virginia | Washington County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Washington County
- Wills -- Virginia | Washington County
- African Americans -- History
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Washington County
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Washington County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Washington County
- Washington County (Va.) -- History
- Deeds -- Virginia | Washington County
- Washington County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1849-1913, are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Entries also include the reel number and image number of where each chancery suit can be found on microfilm. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, slave records, business records or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality’s history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (King George County). Browse search: Washington County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Washington County was named for George Washington who had been commander in chief of the Continental army for little more than a year when the county was formed from Fincastle County in 1776. The county court first met on 28 January 1777. A part of Montgomery County was added in 1777.
- Minute books for the periods 1787-1819 and 1821-1837 and many loose papers were lost in a courthouse fire set by Union soldier James Wyatt on 15 December 1864 during the Civil War. Wyatt, who was raised in Washington County, sought revenge for what he claimed was a wrong done against him by a county court judge before the war.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Washington County (Va.) Chancery Causes
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Washington County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- Washington County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Washington County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Collection at the Library of Virginia. Search the "Lost Records Localities Database" found at the Library of Virginia web site.
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site for the chancery records of additional Virginia localities.
ContextContext of 1849-1913
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1849-1913
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/wXAR0DVGlO0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/wXAR0DVGlO0/">1849-1913</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...