The Resource High Court of Chancery pay vouchers, 1781-1784
- High Court of Chancery pay vouchers, 1781-1784
- Inclusive dates
- Courts -- Virginia -- Officials and employees -- 18th century
- United States -- History -- Confederation, 1783-1789 -- Virginia
- State government records -- Virginia
- Virginia -- Officials and employees | Salaries, etc. -- 18th century
- Beckley, John, Clerk of court
- Clerks of court -- Virginia -- 18th century
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Officers of State Government - Officers of Court
- The vouchers include the names of persons to whom money was owed, the amounts, and the dates the vouchers were submitted. Items cover the years 1781 and 1784
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- The High Court of Chancery was created by an act passed during the October 1777 session of the General Assembly. The new court took over the chancery suits then pending in the General Court and assumed jurisdiction over all chancery cases brought before it by original process, by appeal from a lower court, or by any other legal means. Appeals from the High Court of Chancery were made to the Supreme Court of Appeals. The High Court of Chancery could ask the General Court to certify an opinion on a matter of law.
- The court met at the state capitol and had jurisdiction over the entire state. On 23 January 1802 the General Assembly passed an act that abolished the High Court of Chancery and replaced it with the Superior Courts of Chancery, which took over the cases then pending before the High Court. The records of cases completed by 1802 were destroyed in the Richmond evacuation fire of 3 April 1865.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 303
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of High Court of Chancery pay vouchers, 1781-1784
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work High Court of Chancery pay vouchers, 1781-1784
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/wlS_lTZr9qk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/wlS_lTZr9qk/">High Court of Chancery pay vouchers, 1781-1784</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...