The Resource James Evans autobiographical sketch, 1880
- James Evans autobiographical sketch, 1880
- Inclusive dates
- Autobiographical sketch, 1880, by James Evans (1800-1882) of Richmond, Virginia, detailing his activities as a member of the Freemasons, including lists of initiations, passings, and raisings of members in Richmond Randolph Lodge No. 19, St. John's Lodge No. 36, and Amity Lodge No. 19, while he was Master. Evans also includes a timeline of his activities, and the offices he held in each of the lodges in which he was involved
- Biographical or historical data
- James Evans was born in Gloucester, England on 2 March 1800. His family came to America in 1806, and settled in New York. In 1817, they relocated to Richmond, Virginia. His father died in 1819, and Evans operated the family general store business until 1856. Afterwards, he went into partnership with his brother-in-law John H. Tyler in the jewelry business. Evans was a Richmond city magistrate for the Madison Ward, member of the Richmond Light Infantry Blues, and on the board of directors of the Virginia Penitentary, Merchants and Mechanics Savings Institution, and the Fire and Marine Insurance Company of Richmond. He married Gertrude L. M. Ford (1803-1897), daughter of Dr. Amasa Ford, on 18 September 1823. James Evans died in Richmond on 17 February 1882, and is buried in Shockoe Cemetery.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of James Evans autobiographical sketch, 1880
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work James Evans autobiographical sketch, 1880
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/x23jpy43nVc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/x23jpy43nVc/">James Evans autobiographical sketch, 1880</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...