The Resource Robert Carter letter book, 1720-1721
- Robert Carter letter book, 1720-1721
- Inclusive dates
- Letter book, 1720-1721, of Robert "King" Carter (1663-1732) of Lancaster County, Virginia, reflecting Carter's substantial business interests. Principally includes business communications to Carter's agents abroad, chiefly William Dawkins and the firm of Perry, and a handful of letters to his son John regarding his allowance and studies. Transcripts of the letters can be found in LETTERS OF ROBERT CARTER, 1720-1727: THE COMMERCIAL INTERESTS OF A VIRGINIA GENTLEMAN, edited by Louis B. Wright (LVA call number F229 .C34). This collection is located on frames 189-232 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- Robert "King" Carter (1663-1732) was one of the largest land holders in Virginia and one of its most prominent leaders. King Carter lived at Coromoton in Lancaster County, Virginia. He and his first wife, Judith Armistead Carter (1665-1699), had five children. King Carter and his second wife, Betty Landon Willis Carter (1683/4-1719), had ten children. Carter held several positions of honor in the Colony of Virginia over the course of his life, including member of the House of Burgesses, member and president of the Council of State, acting governor (1726), commander in chief of the militia in Lancaster and Northumberland Counties, naval officer of the Rappahannock River district, member of the board of visitors and rector of the College of William and Mary, and agent for the Fairfax proprietary of the Northern Neck of Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Robert Carter letter book, 1720-1721
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Robert Carter letter book, 1720-1721
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/xCUKapPOqXk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/xCUKapPOqXk/">Robert Carter letter book, 1720-1721</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...