The Resource Agency history
- Agency history
- Mental health services -- Virginia
- Central Lunatic Asylum (Staunton, Va.)
- People with mental disabilities -- Institutional care -- Virginia
- Western State Hospital (Va.)
- State government records -- Virginia
- Mentally ill -- Care -- Virginia
- Western Lunatic Hospital (Va.)
- Western Lunatic Asylum (Va.)
- Mental health facilities -- Virginia
- Biographical or historical data
- Western Lunatic Hospital was established by an Act of Assembly passed on 25 January 1825 for the "maintenance and cure of persons of unsound mind." A Board of Commissioners was appointed and given the task to select a site on the "west side of the Blue Ridge." A site in Staunton was selected, and following construction of facilities, the first patients were admitted on 24 July 1828.
- From approximately 1841, the Western Lunatic Hospital was referred to in official state documents as the "Western Lunatic Asylum," or the "Western Asylum." In 1861, the General Assembly passed an act on 26 March 1861 (Acts of Assembly, Chapter 21) changing the name of the Western Lunatic Asylum to the Central Lunatic Asylum. In its 1863/64 report, the board of directors noted that while the name of the institution had been changed, the name of the board had not been changed and questioned what effect this had on the administration of the institution. In 1865, the General Assembly corrected this conflict by restoring the name "Western Lunatic Asylum" to the facility in Staunton (Acts of Assembly, Chapter 99). In 1894, the General Assembly passed an act changing the name of the Western Lunatic Asylum to Western State Hospital (Acts of Assembly, Chapter 333).
- Please note that there is no connection between the facility in Staunton called the Central Lunatic Asylum (1861-1865) to the Central Lunatic Asylum, later Central State Hospital, established in 1870 outside Richmond, now located near Petersburg.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Agency history
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agency history
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/xEEtK_hZLtw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/xEEtK_hZLtw/">Agency history</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...