The Resource Residence for J. B. Elam, Esquire, ca. 1908.
- Residence for J. B. Elam, Esquire, ca. 1908.
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1908.
- These drawings represent a commission by James B. Elam, a Richmond, Virginia, real estate businessman, for a residence on Monument Avenue (1825 Monument Avenue). Marion J. Dimmock's elevations and plans show a very large Colonial Revival structure with elaborate detailing. Many of Monument Avenue's residents managed or owned construction and building supply companies, so the imposing structures were used like canvases for the skilled craftsmanship inherent in those trades. In addition to the large windows and ornate stonework, the second-story sleeping porch on this structure is noteworthy
- Biographical or historical data
- Marion Johnson Dimmock was born in Portsmouth, Virginia in 1824 and moved to Richmond in 1833. He served in the Confederate Army, attaining the rank of captain. He became one of the most prolific Virginia architects in the period 1870-1900. Among his more prominent commissions during this period were the Confederate Memorial Chapel (1887), a hotel in Elkton, Virginia (1890), Richmond Chamber of Commerce Building (1891-1892), Mortuary Chapel in Hollywood Cemetery (1897-1898), and an addition to the State Library Building (Dimmock & Lee, 1908).
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- Robert W. Stewart Papers, ca. 1970s-1990s, (Collection M 242), Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, Virginia Commonwealth University.
ContextContext of Residence for J. B. Elam, Esquire, ca. 1908.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Residence for J. B. Elam, Esquire, ca. 1908.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/y6Wm0XELrB0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/y6Wm0XELrB0/">Residence for J. B. Elam, Esquire, ca. 1908.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...