The Resource Greensville County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1861
- Greensville County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1861
- Inclusive dates
- Greensville County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Greensville County
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Greensville County
- Greensville County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Ministers' returns -- Virginia | Greensville County
- Christian sects. -- Virginia | Greensville County
- Marriage certificates -- Virginia | Greensville County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Greensville County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Greensville County
- Greensville County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1861, records the returns made by individual ministers within the county. Returns in this volume, prior to 1859, record the names of the parties, the date of the marriage ceremony and the minister's name and denomination. As part of the return process, ministers filed marriage certificates with the county clerk. These signed documents certified that a minister had performed the actual marriage ceremony between the named individuals on a certain date
- In this particular volume, the certificates from 1859 and 1860, included more detailed information such as the place of marriage, the ages of the parties, the status or condition of the parties before marriage, their places of birth, the names of their parents, the occupation of the groom and where the parties reside. There are no returns recorded for 1854-1858. The rest of the pages in the volume have been removed. An internal index, A-W, is unnumbered. This index is arranged alphabetically by surnames according to the page number in the volume
- Biographical or historical data
- Greensville County was formed from Brunswick County on 28 November 1780. The county court first met on 22 February 1781. Subsequent additions were made from Brunswick (1787) and Sussex (1802) Counties.
- Until 1780, marriages could be performed only by ministers of the Established Church, who were required by law to record marriages in the parish register. In 1780, dissenting ministers (only four per county from each sect) were permitted to perform marriage ceremonies. In order to have a record of all marriages, ministers were required to sign a certificate to be filed with the county clerk. Initially, ministers sent marriage certificates to the clerk every three months. Some ministers adopted a custom of making collected returns--a list of marriages performed within a period of time such as a year or several years. Beginning in 1784, marriage certificates were returned annually. The law was rarely enforced, and ministers' returns were sometimes late, incorrect, incomplete and in many instances, not made at all. County clerks compiled a register of marriages based, in part, on ministers' returns.
- The original marriage records, from which this volume was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Greensville County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- This item is located at the State Records Center. Please contact Archives Research Services.
ContextContext of Greensville County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Greensville County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yJGPJpgr1eU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yJGPJpgr1eU/">Greensville County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...