The Resource Unidentified index to claims during the War of 1812, ca. 1812-1813
- Unidentified index to claims during the War of 1812, ca. 1812-1813
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1812-1813
- Contains an index to claims of officers, soldiers, & possibly widows of soldiers who served during the War of 1812. The beginning of the index contains an index to several brigades & corps including the 1st & 2nd Elite, the 1st through 4th Brigades, the General Hospital, & Cavalry. The index includes a number, presumably a page number, next to the months September through April. The majority of the index includes an alphabetical list of officers, soldiers, widows, & companies or partnerships. The index often includes the rank & unit of the officer or soldier. This part of the index also includes a page number next to the months September through April. On rare occasions, the index provides the nature of the claim such as "2 horses", "3 c[ords] wood", "guarding Fort Powhatan", etc
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Military Affairs. (Search Virginia Dept. of Military Affairs as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The United States Congress declared war against Great Britain on 18 June 1812 in response to British impressment of American seamen, violation of American neutrality, and blockade of American ports. The British responded by blockading the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and raiding coastal settlements. In June 1813 the British attempted to capture Norfolk but were repulsed by militia stationed on Craney Island. Although actual encounters were few, the threat of attack kept militia in the field throughout the war, which ended when the Treaty of Ghent was signed on 24 December 1814.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Unidentified index to claims during the War of 1812, ca. 1812-1813
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Unidentified index to claims during the War of 1812, ca. 1812-1813
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yT8XhDgHlak/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yT8XhDgHlak/">Unidentified index to claims during the War of 1812, ca. 1812-1813</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...