The Resource Fairfax County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1876-1877
- Fairfax County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1876-1877
- Inclusive dates
- Fairfax County (Va.)
- Marriage registers -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- African Americans -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- Fairfax County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- African Americans -- Marriage -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- Marriage -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- African Americans -- Employment -- Virginia | Fairfax County
- Fairfax County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1876-1877, records marriages in the county during the late nineteenth century. This original volume contains the following information: date and place of marriage, full names of both parties, race of parties (white or colored), age and condition of parties before marriage, birth places of parties, places of residence of parties, names of their parents, occupation of husband and name of person performing marriage ceremony
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Fairfax County was formed from Prince William County in 1742. Part of Loudoun County was added in 1798. The county exchanged land with the city of Fairfax in 1980, 1992, and 1994. The county was named for Thomas Fairfax, sixth baron Fairfax of Cameron, proprietor of the Northern Neck.
- In 1853, the General Assembly passed a law requiring the systematic statewide recording of vital statistics. The marriage register, still compiled by the county clerk from ministers' returns and other original marriage records, became more standardized and comprehensive.
- The original records, from which this register was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Original wills and deeds as well as many other loose papers were destroyed during the Civil War; deed books for twenty-six of the fifty-six years between 1763 and 1819 are missing. Numerous pre–Civil War minute books are missing as well.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Fairfax County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Fairfax County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Fairfax County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
- These items are located at the State Records Center. Please contact Archives Research Services.
ContextContext of Fairfax County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1876-1877
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Fairfax County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1876-1877
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yZZOEV-m1BA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yZZOEV-m1BA/">Fairfax County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1876-1877</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...