The Resource John Esten Cooke poetry book, 1848-1849
- John Esten Cooke poetry book, 1848-1849
- Inclusive dates
- Poetry book, 1848-1849, containing poems written by John Esten Cooke (1830-1886), including "The Old Year," "Look First Upon This Picture - Then On This," "Twelve O'clock," "Far Away in Tennessee," "When Sorrow Comes," and "Life."
- Biographical or historical data
- John Esten Cooke (1830 – 1886) was an American novelist, born in Virginia and noted for writing about that state. He illustrated Virginia life and history in the novels, The Virginia Comedians (1854), and The Wearing of the Gray, a tale of the American Civil War, and more formally in a respected Virginia history. He was the author of The Youth of Jefferson. Cooke was one of 13 children of John Rogers Cooke and Maria Pendleton Cooke. He was born on the family's plantation, "Amber's Hill," near Winchester, Virginia. He studied and practiced law briefly in Richmond. He abandoned that in 1854 after his father’s death, and almost immediately became a successful novelist and prolific short story writer, eventually authoring 31 books and almost 200 published articles and poems. In 1867, Cooke married Frances Page and settled down three miles north of Boyce, Virginia, to become a prosperous farmer and gardener. He had three children. He died of typhoid fever at his home, "The Briars." Cooke was buried in Old Chapel Cemetery in Millwood, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of John Esten Cooke poetry book, 1848-1849
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work John Esten Cooke poetry book, 1848-1849
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/y_nbeQcDo_c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/y_nbeQcDo_c/">John Esten Cooke poetry book, 1848-1849</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...