The Resource Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company records, 1849-1857
- Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company records, 1849-1857
- Inclusive dates
- These records contain letters sent, reports, lists of stockholders, and certificates of stock subscriptions for the period 1849, 1851, 1853, 1857
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly was passed March 15, 1849, to authorize formation of the Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company as a corporation to construct a turnpike road from some point on the North Western Road in Hampshire County, to some point on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, at or near the Pawpaw tunnel in Morgan County. Capital stock was set at $11,000, with the Board of Public Works subscribing to 3/5 or $6,600. The road was to be at least 16 feet wide, but the Company was not required to pave or cover with stone or gravel, nor build a summer side road. Stock was increased $13,000, March 11, 1850, in order to cover costs of constructing a branch leading to a point at or near the house of Frederick R. Jenkins in Hampshire County, through the town of Gainesborough to the town of Winchester. The General Assembly approved the formation of a new company to administer this branch road, called the North Frederick Turnpike Company, on February 24, 1851. Directors on the Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company board served on the new company board until the next annual meeting. The Assembly also approved planking or macademizing the new branch road form Winchester to the Little North Mountain.
- March 20, 1858, the Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company was released from paying a fine imposed by a judgment of the circuit court of Henrico County on 28 October 1857.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 271
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company records, 1849-1857
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company records, 1849-1857
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yvb1IhyYoGI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/yvb1IhyYoGI/">Hampshire and Morgan Turnpike Company records, 1849-1857</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...