The Resource Letter to David S. Garland, undated
- Letter to David S. Garland, undated
- Inclusive dates
- Contains a portion of a letter from the Council Chamber to David S. Garland regarding the Buckingham Furnace lands. The letter includes a note regarding Robert Moseley, Jr., who was appointed agent to lease the furnace lands in Buckingham in 1810
- Biographical or historical data
- In May 1776 John Bellendine and John Reveley petitioned the Fifth Revolutionary Convention for an advance of funds to construct a blast furnace, foundry, and other structures for the manufacture of iron for military use. By 1781 a blast furnace had been built in Buckingham County and a foundry was operating in Westham, near Richmond. The furnace operated only briefly, however, and by 1784 the sheriff of Buckingham County threatened to sell the furnace land for taxes owed.
- Apparently the land escheated to the state and was rented out but poorly maintained. On 28 February 1822 the General Assembly passed an act appointing one agent to collect rents and find new tenants. Evidently the plan proved unsatisfactory, for on 23 February 1822 the General Assembly authorized the sale of the property. The heirs of John Reveley received a portion of the proceeds.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Letter to David S. Garland, undated
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter to David S. Garland, undated
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ywAvxsBZum4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ywAvxsBZum4/">Letter to David S. Garland, undated</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...