The Resource Tyler family letters, 1857-1871
- Tyler family letters, 1857-1871
- Inclusive dates
- Four letters, covering the years 1857-1871, of John and Julia (Gardiner) Tyler of Charles City County, Virginia; and New York. Includes one letter, dated 8 May 1857, from John Tyler of Sherwood Forest, Charles City County (Va.), to Margaret (Gardiner) Beeckman (1822-1857) of New York. Topics include an upcoming celebration at Jamestown (Va.) in which President Tyler was to give a speech, and Margaret's planned visit to Sherwood Forest. On the bottom of the letter Julia Tyler notes that her sister, Margaret Beeckman, died suddenly 3 June 1857 at Sherwood Forest
- The remaining three letters were written to Julia (Gardiner) Tyler: Letter, dated 23 February 1866, from Matthew Maury in Mexico, to Julia in New York; Letter, dated 16 April 1868, from Robert E. Lee of Lexington (Va.). This letter was written while Robert E. Lee was president of Washington and Lee University and concerns the schooling of Julia's son, David Gardiner Tyler (b. 1846). The last letter, dated 26 January 1871, was from Mary Custis Lee (1808-1873) of Lexington, Virginia. This letter was a reply to a condolence letter that Julia had written to Mary Lee after her husband, Robert E. Lee, had died
- Biographical or historical data
- John Tyler (1790-1862) of Charles City County (Va.) was the tenth president of the United States of America. Julia (Gardiner) Tyler (1820-1889) of New York was his second wife.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Tyler family letters, 1857-1871
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Tyler family letters, 1857-1871
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/z0NrvuI1x2c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/z0NrvuI1x2c/">Tyler family letters, 1857-1871</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...