The Resource Account of direct taxes collected by Joseph Scott, 1804-1808
- Account of direct taxes collected by Joseph Scott, 1804-1808
- Inclusive dates
- Court marshals -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Tax collection -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Income tax
- United States -- History
- Journals (accounts)
- United States marshals. -- Virginia
- Bank of Alexandria (Va.)
- Accounts -- Virginia
- Scott, Joseph
- State government records -- Virginia
- Banks and banking -- Virginia | Alexandria
- Courts. -- Virginia -- Officials and employees -- 19th century
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Contains an account of direct taxes collected by Joseph Scott as United States Marshal for the Virginia District from 1804 to 1808. This volume provides the name of the individual whom Scott collected the direct tax, their locality, and a chronological list of their accounts. The accounts indicate whether the amount is "to new account," "by the United States", or "by old account." The second part of the account book provides weekly returns of monies received & paid on account of the direct tax beginning on 14 October 1804. These returns indicate the balances on hand per return, amounts received by several individuals along with the acreage not sold or paid for on the delinquent list, and amount paid to the Gurden Chapier, Cashier of the Bank of Alexandria. These weekly returns were sent to Albert Gallatin, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928). (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- Major Joseph Scott (1743-1810) of Amelia County, Virginia, was the son of Samuel and Frances Scott. He served during the Revolutionary War. He was appointed United States Marshal for Virginia by Thomas Jefferson in 1801 and served until his death in 1810.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Account of direct taxes collected by Joseph Scott, 1804-1808
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Account of direct taxes collected by Joseph Scott, 1804-1808
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/z2raXJg-Y1s/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/z2raXJg-Y1s/">Account of direct taxes collected by Joseph Scott, 1804-1808</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...