The Resource Lunenburg County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1854
- Lunenburg County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1854
- Inclusive dates
- Title variation
- Lunenburg County (Va.) Marriage Register No. 1,
- Title variation date
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Lunenburg County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Lunenburg County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Marriage certificates -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Ministers' returns -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Christian sects. -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Lunenburg County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1854, records the returns made by individual ministers of marriages performed within the county. As part of the return process, ministers filed marriage certificates with the county clerk. These signed documents certified that a minister had performed the actual marriage ceremony between the named individuals on a certain date. These returns also took the form of lists
- Returns in this volume, prior to 1853, record the names of the parties, the date of the marriage ceremony and the minister's name and denomination. By 1853, more information was included in lists or certificates from the individual ministers such as the ages of the parties, where the couple was residing, the occupation of the husband, status of the parties before marriage and where parties were married. In addition, the parents names of both parties and the birthplaces of both parties were sometimes noted. An unnumbered internal index is found at the beginning of the volume. Entries are arranged by the first letter of the groom's surname as the name appears according to the page number of the volume
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Lunenburg County was formed from Brunswick County by an act that took effect on 1 May 1746. Part of Lunenburg County was added in 1777. The county was named for King George II, duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, a German possession of England's Hanoverian kings.
- Until 1780, marriages could be performed only by ministers of the Established Church, who were required by law to record marriages in the parish register. In 1780, dissenting ministers (only four per county from each sect) were first permitted to perform marriage ceremonies. In order to have a record of all marriages, ministers were required to sign a certificate to be filed with the county clerk. Intially, ministers sent marriage certificates to the clerk every three months. Some ministers adopted a custom of making collected returns--a list of marriages performed within a period of time such as a year or several years. Beginning in 1784, marriage certificates were returned annually. The law was rarely enforced, and ministers' returns were sometimes late, incorrect, incomplete, and in many instances, not made at all. County clerks compiled a register of marriages based, in part, on ministers' returns.
- The original ministers' returns and marriage certificate, from which this volume was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Lunenburg County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Lunenburg County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1854
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lunenburg County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1854
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/zdryOF_2I2Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/zdryOF_2I2Q/">Lunenburg County (Va.) Ministers' Returns, 1850-1854</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...