The Resource William Black journal, 1744
- William Black journal, 1744
- Inclusive dates
- Indians of North America -- Treaties. -- Treaties
- Personal papers
- Black, William,
- United States -- History -- 18th century
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History -- 18th century
- Iroquois Indians -- Treaties
- Pennsylvania -- History -- 18th century
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Social life and customs -- 18th century
- Journal, 14 May - 15 June 1744, of William Black, secretary of a commission appointed by Governor Gooch, to compromise a treaty with the Iroquois Indians for the lands west of the Allegheny Mountains. This treaty in which the Iroquois sold their claims of the lands "to the setting sun," became known as the Treaty of Lancaster. Includes detailed descriptions of the trip to and life in Philadelphia, stopping short of the Lancaster meeting. Located on frames 2-130
- Biographical or historical data
- William Black, a native of Scotland, settled in Manchester, Virginia, and married Miss Dent of Maryland. He owned Falls Plantation on the James River near Richmond.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of William Black journal, 1744
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work William Black journal, 1744
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/zwy7c13RhRs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/zwy7c13RhRs/">William Black journal, 1744</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...